2008/11/10

Ad. for CityU



2008 11 10

Thx Raymond for inviting me to share my news in CityU SS Dept's newsletter~~


Dear all SS professors, staff, and fellow schoolmates,

Time flies, it has been 3 years+ already since I graduated from CityU BSSSW.

After graduation, I went over to Singapore to work as a social worker in a Family Service Centre. I enjoyed a lot being a social worker during those 2 years, however, I have gained some new insights on the careers options available for a SW graduate. In Singapore, it is not uncommon for a fresh grad. to go straight to other business fields to work; on the other hand, many mature and experienced social workers actually had their career switch to SW after they worked in other business fields for many years. I like social work, but I also have many other dreams. Then I decided to try as many things as possible when I am still young and energetic.

After my 2 years contract finished in Singapore last year, I had my career change. I have joined Gulf Air, a Bahrain-based middle eastern airline, as a cabin crew. It was really a big achievement in my life, a big step out of my comfort zone. The path I take seems to be so different from what other fresh grad. would take in HK, and I was invited by a HK publishing company to share my experience in a book. It was really a blessing for me to have my book published in Oct this year, and I am happy to share it with all of you here.

There are always different opportunities in our lives, sometimes we just have to step out from our comfort zone and try them out. Lets hunt for our dreams together~~

Cheers,
Odie, Lee Hoi Yin
2005 BSSSW graduate